Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Milk 2008

Milk (2008)    I resisted seeing this movie for three years, I thought it might be off putting because of too much information.  I was surprised at all the history I didn't know about San Francisco and Harvey Milk.  I did enjoy this movie and I have a different view of Milk as a result, the film covers the last 8 years of his life.  Both Penn and Franco are good in their rolls and Penn received an Academy Award and Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Actor in 2009.
    Milk ran unsuccessfully for Supervisor several times but was finally elected when the districts were redrawn.  He fought hard for his community even before entering politics and there was severe opposition, beatings by the police, killings just for walking down the street.  I knew that Dan White used the "twinkie" defense after he killed Mayor Moscone and Milk but he was very mentally unbalanced and only served a five year sentence.  4* (I really liked this movie)

128 min, Bio, directed by Gus Van Sant with Sean Penn, James Franco, Josh Brolin.

Note:  Blockbuster 3 1/2*, imdb 7.8 out of 10, 94% critic 88% audience on Rotten Tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment