Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dead Reckoning 1947

Dead Reckoning     Soldiers Rip Murdock and Johnny Drake are recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor.  They are on their way to Washington by train but Johnny gets off the train and Rip learns he’s dead.  Rip meets up with Johnny’s married former girlfriend to try to get information.  Rip becomes involved with a crooked gambler and a complex blackmailing scheme.  The next complication is that Rip is charged with murder.
      I had a difficult time with this film because of the dialogue and all the twists and turns in the plot.  I couldn't remain interested and the lines that Bogart uses seem ridiculous.  “I haven’t had a good laugh since before Johnny was murdered.  Do you think I fell for that fancy tripe you gave me?  It’s not a new story baby.  You killed him, why lie?"  All the nicknames for the girlfriend get on my last nerve.  I also couldn't stop mixing up Scott with Bacall, they look alike?  2* (I didn’t like this movie)

105 min, Drama directed by John Cromwell with Humphrey Bogart, Lizabeth Scott, William Prince, Morris Carnovsky.

Note:  Blockbuster 4*, imdb 7.1 out of 10, 67% critic 68% audience on Rotten Tomatoes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment