Tuesday, April 21, 2015

She Done Him Wrong 1933


She Done Him Wrong


     Lady Lou is a New York singer and nightclub owner.  She likes diamonds and men like to give her diamonds.  One man is a vicious criminal but he was sent to prison.  Lou goes to see him but it’s obvious he will kill her if he doesn’t think she’s waiting for him to get out of prison.  Lou also is seeing a man who finds ‘jobs’ for women down on their luck.  She also takes a shine to Captain Cummings, a local policeman.  Everything seems to go downhill for her toward the end?
     This is the first film I've seen with Mae West?  I've read a lot of references to her and her trademark statement but I think I thought her movies were too old and I wouldn't like them?  I thought this was good and I would like to see another film with her to see if she usually has the same attitude?  I thought she was funny too without even trying.  3 1/2* (I liked this movie) 

66 min, Comedy directed by Lowell Sherman with Mae West, Cary Grant, Owen Moore, Gilbert Roland, Noah Beery, David Landau, Rafaela Ottiano, Dewey Robinson, Rochelle Hudson, Tammany Young, Fuzzy Knight.

Note:  Imdb 6.5 out of 10, 95% critic 53% audience on Rotten Tomatoes, Amazon 4.6* out of 5* with 76 reviews.
Special Note:  This first film was Mae West’s personal favorite among the movies she made.  Mae became a box office sensation after this release and she is credited with saving Paramount Studios from bankruptcy.  The phrase, “Come up and see me sometime” became her trademark.  Mae based her script on her Broadway smash hit, Diamond Lil.  Cary Grant became an instant star and this was his ninth film.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment