Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Overnight 2015


Overnight      A family moves from Seattle to the trendy Eastside of Los Angeles and they wonder if they will be able to make any friends?  They are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the newness of their situation.  Alex and Emily in their 30’s and married with a young son, RJ.  At the park, they meet Kurt and his son Max.  The boys are getting along playing and the newcomers are invited for a casual pizza dinner with the family.  They are also invited to stay overnight after the boys become tired and go to sleep quickly in Max’s room.  As the night progresses, Alex and Emily begin to wonder if they are out of their comfort zones?  They also feel intimidated by the posh Spanish-style mansion in the hills.  Plus, Charlotte, Kurt's wife, turns out to be exceedingly gorgeous and glamorous.
     Maybe this film was funny on paper but for me it doesn’t translate to the screen?  I think there isn’t one scene in this film that I liked at all?  My only positive comment is that the film is 79 minutes long that is 79 minutes too long!!  I would like to regain this lost 79 minutes of my life!!  I could not see myself being comfortable at all with the personalities, ideas or the home of Kurt and Charlotte.  It is more likely I would leave early and feel I had dodged a very high caliber bullet or possibly an RPG!!  ½* (I really hated this movie) 

Note:  Imdb 6.3 out of 10, 82% critic 59% audience, Roger Ebert 3*.

79 min, Comedy directed by Patrick Brice with Adam Scott, Taylor Schilling, Jason Schwartzman, R.J. Hermes, Kyle Field, Sarah DeVincentis.
Special Note:  This film was shot in 15 days.  The producers are Adam Scott, Jay and Mark Duplass.

No comments:

Post a Comment