Sunday, November 27, 2011

Melancholia 2011

Melancholia (2011)    Justine is an emotionally troubled newlywed, she is given a lavish wedding party by her sister Claire.  A stretch limo taking the bride and groom to the party can't navigate the narrow road to Claire and her husband John's home and they are two hours late.  There are a lot of conflicts because of this lateness and the guests history with each other.  Another element is there will be a possible collision between Earth and another planet.
    In the beginning it is difficult to figure out what is going on but it becomes clear later on in the movie.  Performances by Kirsten Dunst and Charlotte Gainsbourg are excellent and they are not shy about showing their emotions on their faces.  This movie is very different from other films.  4* (I really liked this movie)

130 min, Drama directed by Lars von Trier with Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Kiefer Sutherland, Alexander Skarsgard, John Hurt, Charlotte Rampling, Stellan Skarsgard, Jasper Christensen, Cameron Spurr.

Note:  Blockbuster 2 1/2*, imdb 7.5 out of 10, 79% critic 75% audience on Rotten Tomatoes.

Special Note:  The camera style is shaky and has quick movements to the sides.  The color tones have a lot of sepia and the music is very dramatic.  This caused me to have motion sickness and I had to go outside for a short period to recover.  I felt very warm and nauseous, popcorn and perfume became very strong smelling, I could not figure out what was wrong for a while.  The ticket seller told me that others have left because of this reaction.  I found that setting in the back alone was much better, it was cooler, I could close my eyes when needed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment