Friday, June 3, 2011

All the King's Men 2006

    Willie Stark wants to be Governor of Louisiana, he begins for the people and from the people and then begins the BUT.  He's just another candidate until he starts speaking for himself and the voters begin to take notice of his promises.  He does become Governor and then he changes to what's in this for me, how much power can I wrest from the people, how much can I get out of this for myself, who is standing in my way and how can I bring them down? 
    The "good old boys" take notice when they start to come up short on their own grab for themselves, the answer, they start impeachment procedures.  Buying, pushing and shoving, finding out what will make people change their minds, it's worked before, it works again and the vote keeps Willie in office.  One thing he hasn't counted on, people who are friends, in the background, they can start to make things happen to bring you down more than impeachment.
    This is the second film version of Robert Penn Warren's novel based somewhat on Louisiana Governor Huey Long, in office from 1928 to 1932.  I liked the period cars and clothing, there is a unique theme music in the background in the beginning of the film, lower tones that let you know things are moving, things are happening.
3 1/2* (I liked this movie)

128 min, Drama, directed by Steve Zaillian with Sean Penn, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Patricia Clarkson, James Gandolfini, Mark Ruffalo, Anthony Hopkins.
Note:  3* Blockbuster, 6.0 out of 10 imdb, 43% audience Rotten Tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment